Thursday, June 28, 2012

Time Flies

Wow!  Has it really been over a month since my last post, the time has whizzed by.  The truth is I’ve been very busy.  Most of May and the first part of June I spent preparing for my third, and hopefully last, knee surgery.  It’s been a long and trying year since I first had to contend with the fact that my knees just weren’t strong enough to do all the things I want and need to do at this point in my life.  So even as I sit here in bed for a few more days with an ice pack on my leg and pain meds on the night stand, I can see an end to all the doctor’s appointments and tests and (fingers crossed) pain.

Part of my pre-op preparations included enrolling in an online writing class through a site called Lit Reactor, and taught by non-other than the fabulous agent/author Mandy Hubbard.  The class is dedicated to writing for young adults and along with informational lectures from Mandy we are also getting critiques from her on our current projects.  Another great part of the class is between the 18 students we can read and review each other’s work.  So not only do we get Mandy’s thoughts, but we also get thoughts from other writers!  Awesome right?

We’re currently half way through the four week course and I’d have to say that the biggest impact it’s had on my writing is that I’ve learned to slow down.  I’ve learned that each sentence, each word, must have a purpose for going on the page and it must draw the reader in and pull them forward.  I also have a much better grasp on the whole, show don’t tell concept, which I know will improve my writing immensely.

My one complaint (well, not really complaint, bummer mostly) about the class is that it’s only four weeks and we’ll only get through about the first three chapters of each of the student’s WIPs.  Obviously Mandy is a very busy person and couldn’t possibly critique 18 manuscripts for people who aren’t her clients, but one can dream, right?

In addition to the class, I’ve also recently become a contributing blogger to the YA Stands site, a site dedicated to the young adult writing community.  I encourage you to hop over there and check it out.  There is a diverse group of bloggers with tons of great information for writers, readers and general lovers of the YA genre.  Also, if you hurry and check out my post from June 19th, you could win a copy of A Beautiful Dark, by Jocelyn Davies.

So how about you, what have you been up to the last few weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment