Monday, February 13, 2012

I'm No Susie Homemaker

This morning - tea in hand - I wandered around surveying the messy state of my house.  Four laundry baskets filled with clothes waiting to be folded huddled near the dining room table.  (At least the clothes were clean.)  The blanket fort built days ago in the living room, now resembled a leaning shack just waiting for a gust of wind to blow it down.  Dirty dishes needing to be loaded into the dishwasher filled the sink and covered the counter.  A pile of dog hair had collected in the corner of the kitchen and I wasn’t exactly sure what my sock was sticking to on the floor.

I briefly considered calling a cleaning service, but decided it would be more work to locate the phonebook in the piles of papers in my office than it would be to just start cleaning myself.  
So that’s what I did.

I folded and put away clothes.  I took down the poor fort/shack and put the blankets where they belonged.  I loaded the dishwasher and wiped the counters then swept and vacuumed the floors.  By the time I was done you’d never know I wasn’t ‘Susie Homemaker’, and I’m not.  In fact, I’m boarding on ‘Susie Homewrecker ‘.
But today I had a mission and by golly I was going to complete it.

Several hours later when I was finally finished, I sat down in my rocking chair and turned on my laptop.  As I waited for it to boot-up I took another look around the house feeling satisfied with what I’d accomplished.  I know I’m not alone when I say my writing and editing have a way of taking over every essence of my being.  When the words and ideas flow it’s easy to forget about all the other things in life that need to be tended to.
For now though, the house is clean, the laundry is as close to done as it can be and I’m ready for my next inspiration to hit.

In case you were wondering, my cleaning theme song was Love to Get Used, by Matt Pond PA.  Also, be sure to check out my guest blog post on Erica Lucke Dean's site on Friday, February 17th.


1 comment:

  1. Ok...I know I should comment on the cleaning. Perhaps the blanket fort (I have fond memories of my own from days gone by.) Maybe I should say something about the cleaning crew you could have called. But truthfully, I have but one thing to say...wow! You have an actual phonebook! In the modern day of internet and cell phones do people still come around and drop them off on the doorstep? Ah, nostalgia...

    ReplyDelete